Saturday, April 18, 2009

A cake of many things

Hey y'all! So I have been practicing my cake baking skills for the cake I am going to make Theresa and Robert for their wedding and so I made a carrot cake yesterday in honor of Mike D's birthday. I must say that I adore carrot cakes but you have to make sure the icing that you use on them is not too sweet since the carrot cake itself is already so sweet (all those natural sugars you know-oh and those three cups of sugar to three cups of flour that goes into the recipe). I wish I had taken pictures but I will still share the recipe with you. I got this recipe from Emilys mom who used it to bake her own wedding cake. I must admit I have changed and tweaked it a bit so it even better-if I do say so myself.

Sift all dry ingredients together:
3 c. flour
3 c. sugar
2 t. baking soda
1 1/2 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. salt

In another bowl mix:
2 t. vanilla
2 c. carrots that have been boiled to softness and then pureed in a blender
1 and 1/2 c. cooking oil
3 eggs, slightly beaten
1 cup of raisins-steep in hot water for ten minutes to make plump and juicy
1-8 oz. can crushed pineapple, including juice

Bake in a greased and floured tube pan in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour or until done.
Cool and remove from pan. (I run a knife around the edges of the perimeter and the tube itself before I take it out of the pan) Place a plate over top of the cake pan and flip it onto the plate, then get a cooling rack (this is best) or another plate and flip again so the top of the cake is on top!

No comments: