Saturday, October 1, 2011

Stuffed Acorn Squash

I got a ton of free acorn squash from the farm this fall and have been contemplating exactly what to do with it. I remember one Thanksgiving UMD dining hall did a vegetarian dinner with a stuffed acorn squash and it was pretty good so I decided to try my hand at doing something similar.

I roasted my squash at 450 degrees (slices in half and placed cut side down on a baking sheet) for about 40 minutes-until my fork went cleanly through. I knew I would need a really flavorful stuffing because squash can be a little bland so I made a rice jambalaya and mixed it with sauteed vegetables (onions, red peppers, mushrooms and yellow squash) and spicy turkey kielbasa. This made a wonderful stuffing and a colorful presentation. I really think this is a unique healthful dish but if I were to do it again I would brush the acorn squash with maple syrup before cooking. I definitely recommend my sausage jambalaya stuffed acorn squash. Next time I will try a variation with cranberry sauce, couscous and turkey-acorn squash squash would be the perfect vehicle for these staple Thanksgiving leftovers.

No comments: