Sunday, November 6, 2011

Butternutsquash Pie Recipe

So years ago when I was on a retreat some friends picked up a few different pies on the way to the cabin and we feasted on the different pies that night (yeah-they were all finished in one night haha). I clearly remember loving the butternut squash pie-something I had never had before. It was a million times tastier than pumpkin pie and I wanted to recreate my lovely butternut squash pie eating experience with the free squash I got from the farm. I made the pie three ways-one with a traditional pie crust, one in muffin tins with the same pie crust and one with a graham cracker pie crust.

 I got a ton of compliments on this pie and it was the filling that really made it. The squash is so naturally sweet it gives the pie a wonderful honey like flavor.

I roasted the squash myself by halving it, scooping out the seeds in the base, basting it with maple syrup and sticking it in the oven at 400 F for about 45 minutes. 

I based my filling off of a recipe from the Farmers Daughter blog but tweaked it a little for myself:

  • 1 cup squash puree
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3 beaten eggs
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • pie dough for one 9-10″ crust
  • Preheat the oven to 425 F
  • Mix all the ingredients in a bowl
  • Pour the filling into pie crust
  • Let the pie bake for 10 minutes before turning it down to 300F for 50-60 minutes





No comments: