I got a ton of compliments on this pie and it was the filling that really made it. The squash is so naturally sweet it gives the pie a wonderful honey like flavor.
I roasted the squash myself by halving it, scooping out the seeds in the base, basting it with maple syrup and sticking it in the oven at 400 F for about 45 minutes.
I based my filling off of a recipe from the Farmers Daughter blog but tweaked it a little for myself:
- 1 cup squash puree
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 beaten eggs
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pie dough for one 9-10″ crust
- Preheat the oven to 425 F
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl
- Pour the filling into pie crust
- Let the pie bake for 10 minutes before turning it down to 300F for 50-60 minutes